On September 28, a powerful earthquake and tsunami devastated portions of Indonesia. It left in its wake a trail of death, destruction and numerous injuries. The Parts Unknown Indonesia episode was filmed in the spring of 2018, five months before the recent tragedy. Here’s how you can help Indonesia earthquake and tsunami victims.
People who’ve seen Eat, Pray, Love—who were inspired to come to Bali and do yoga—they have a romantic notion. They want to improve their lives in a physical and spiritual way. They would like to have an experience that they can remember.
But if you come to Bali and it looks exactly like Cancun and Miami, why the f*** get on a plane all the way to Bali? Am I bitter? Am I just old? Do I just have a predisposition, an instinctive hatred of young people? Perhaps. In the words of Baba Ram Dass, “Be here now.” But I am here now.
So this too is Bali, I guess. Or it is now.
This text was adapted from Bourdain’s narration for the episode.
Highlights from Indonesia on Explore Parts Unknown:
- A guide to a Perfect Day in Jakarta
- Recipes for rendang padang curry and nasi goreng fried rice
- Photo essays on the Bajau Laut sea nomads and Javanese shadow puppets
- A feature on a violent chapter in Indonesian history
- An illustrated guide to Indonesian Padang food